My word for 2018:
My Choice

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Mindful writing prompt #35: To plug or unplug?

The question in this prompt, or, I think I would rather call it a challenge, is can you unplug from the internet for 24 hours? As I started to consider this, the question that popped up in my mind was not "can I do it?" but rather "do I want to do it?" All of my close friends live out of physical reach of me, and internet is a great way to connect with them.

In my youth we had snail mail, and the odd phone call. It took so long, and was, in many cases, the reason why I lost touch with some great friends in the 70's and 80's. Thanks to the internet, I have reconnected with many of them. I have also reconnected with people from elementary school, high school and college that I probably wouldn't have kept in touch with if Facebook hadn't made it so easy. New friends are added and kept in touch with. I don't interact constantly with all these people, but Facebook is a good way to a keep little bit in touch with many people at the same time.

So I do spend a fair amount of time on Facebook. I check in often, but don't usually stay long. I also spend a fair amount of time on blogging. The feedback I get on both of these media feeds my soul.

At the moment I am in a situation where I don't socialize much. I am most comfortable in my own home, living every day at my own pace. My social life happens mostly online. So can I give it up? I could, for 24 hours, but I don't want to. I did go unplugged during our recent cruise, but on a day to day basis, I need to be connected.


1 comment:

Leovi said...

Although we tend to socialize less realistically, I do not have to give it up, is too important.